... and here is a partial list of topics and techniques that I teach with proficiency.
tutoring for Macs
• Intro to the Mac OS for new users
• Intro to the Mac OS for PC switchers
• How to navigate your Mac with ease and without fears
• How to customize your own Mac workspace
• Mac OS training for intermediate and advanced users
• Mac OS X best practices
• OS X Shortcuts for greater efficiency
• How to use Time Machine
• How to sync with iCloud
• How to sync with iOS devices
• Tutoring for iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes
• Tutoring for Pages and Word
• Set Up, Clean Up, Back Up Advice
tutoring for graphics
• Beginner to advanced Photoshop
• Beginner to advanced InDesign
• Beginner to advanced Illustrator
• Beginner to advanced Lightroom
• Imaging editing techniques
• File resolution and color space theory and application
• File formats differences
• Vector versus raster file differences
• Image optimization theory and techniques
• Techniques for conversion from color to grayscale
• Color correction techniques
• Color space and color calibration info
• Masking and compositing techniques
• Using layers, understanding stacking order
• Layer blending options
• Making selections
• Using smart objects
• Using filters on images
• Book design and layout
• Using paragraph, character and object styles
• Table of Contents creation
• Chapter and Page Number management
• Indexing and Cross Referencing
• Web design instruction
• Template creation
• Digital asset management
• Managing text heavy publications
• Managing graphics heavy publications
Both of my parents were educators, my father was the head of the history department at my high school ( I even had him for US History ... that was weird) and my mother taught English to non-English speaking adults. I never considered that someday I would enjoy teaching as much as they did.
And now years later, I’ve become a teacher too, and I love doing it, perhaps it is genetic after all. I have a deep store of knowledge about Macs, and many of the apps and services that Apple provides with its operating system, as well as many third party apps. In addition, through years of doing computer graphics for print and the web, I have accumulated levels of skill with design apps that allow me to help people learn the apps through my tutoring, whether they are starting from scratch, or already skilled and wishing to improve.
Personally, I am easy going and I have a good sense of humor. I teach in easy to comprehend plain English. Although I know a lot of techno speak mumbo jumbo, you will rarely hear it in sessions with me. My tutoring style is laid back and non-judgemental. I can impart knowledge slowly or quickly, depending on what my student needs. I am skilled at rephrasing when particular concepts seem difficult to grasp. My method begins with the introduction of fundamental knowledge and tools, and then builds additional knowledge on top of that framework by moving into more complicated tasks, whether it be navigating your Mac more efficiently, or placing your Photoshop images inside your Indesign document alongside your placed Illustrator vector logo.
A promise of satisfaction: if you decide to take classes with me, and if at the end of any session you are unhappy with the quality and content of my tutoring, the charge will be waived!
I am a longtime Adobe Creative Suite applications user and tutor.
I have been using Photoshop since 1996, InDesign since 1999 (Pagemaker before that since 1992), Illustrator since 2004 (Freehand before that since 1992) andﾠAdobe Lightroom since 2006.
I have been teaching them all since 2009.
I tend to provide a lot of info when teaching...
...and I don’t take offense at interjections, or requests for “less info” or for “more info”, or for hearing a concept from a differing angle, or repeatedly, or even to be told “that doesn’t interest me, so let’s just skip it” about any given topic (although I may argue the case that the knowledge may be more important than you think!)
Basically you will find me easy to understand and easy to work with, and I am not ego driven. I am a good listener too. I have extensive experience in running my own business, and in photography, print design, web design and in the field of commercial printing, all of which have direct connections to the use of my Macs, and the graphics applications that I teach.
My availability is flexible...
...as I work from home. I can work pretty much anytime that is convenient for you including days and evenings (not too late), and occasionally on weekends. I can sometimes make appointments with less than 24 hours notice, and I am happy to schedule an appointment several days or weeks in advance if that suits you. Remote sessions are an option too, in which case I have a one hour minimum, and scheduling a session can be impromptu and therefore more flexible.
Hire me as your tutor, and learn some stuff!